College Plans

Chloe Wolfe

As the graduating class of 2021 ends their time in high school, they are faced with needing to make  big decisions before starting their new journey in college.

“My major is criminal justice studies, as such I wanted a college that has a well-respected sociology program for me to learn from,” Glen Hanton, Ford, said.  “l researched colleges and went to find tours and found Western Michigan University to have a respectable college of arts and sciences, as well as a great standard of living.  Another big thing is WMU has an AROTC (Army Reserve Officer Training Corps) program on-campus.  Put really, really simply, that means there are scholarships and training available to students who have potential to become officers in the army.  Since I am already enlisted and the scholarships are lucrative, I decided WMU ROTC would be a good fit.”

Many seniors find themselves excited to start specializing their education to their careers.

“I chose Oakland because I did not want to go away for college,” Maddison Rouse, Eisenhower, said.   “I liked their radiology program and where the hospitals they work with are located.  I am most excited for the actual clinical part of radiology because it is not just all schoolwork.”

Seniors have determined the best course of action, personalized to their own goals.

“I plan on going to college, but for now I am going to take summer classes to be a phlebotomist,” Shelby Romeo, Utica, said.  “I plan on going to school to become an ultrasound technician, so I figured that I should get some experience in the medical field.”

Though teachers may not have formed normal bonds with students this year, they still saw this graduating class’ potential.

“Be yourself (DO YOU),” Stevenson economics teacher Timothy Brandon said.  “Do not follow the path that someone else has laid out for you.  Do what YOU are good at and what makes YOU happy.”