Upcoming exams

Aniyah Moyet

Students taking virtual classes this year are required to take their upcoming exams online.

“I feel unprepared because this has been a very difficult and complicated year,” Utica junior Rocco Cesario said. “I do not feel like I learned anything this year. I was definitely just going through the motions because it was very hard for me to focus and stay on top of my schoolwork during online school.”

Concerns have been expressed that students are having a harder time learning the curriculum.

“I am honestly a little anxious about exams,” Eisenhower junior Jeremy Slusser said. “I feel like I am having more trouble retaining information online than I would if I were physically in a class. At this point, I am definitely just going through the motions, mainly because of virtual school. I feel like days are kind of blending together. I am just learning things to pass the test and then hardly remembering any of it afterwards.”

Despite concerns, there are feelings of readiness and preparedness.

“I feel pretty good for the upcoming exams because there was not a lot of difficult content learned this semester,” Stevenson sophomore Morgan Mayberry said. “I feel like my teachers will prepare me well for the exams.  Of course, I learned something this year, but not as much as I have in the previous years.”

Teachers seem to be thinking along the same lines as these students, as in-person learning has proven to deliver better results.

“I prefer in person because my class is a performance-based class,” Stevenson speech teacher Kelli McCloud said. “In classes where most tests have been online, I feel students would most likely do better online than in person.  Most teachers are adjusting their exams to meet the needs of their students, so they will experience success in their class.  In the classes where teachers adjust their exams, there will be great scores.”