Hear Hispanic Voices

As ongoing issues over diversity and racism divide the country, students feel more awareness should be brought to certain topics regarding different cultures. Hear Hispanic Voices is a movement made to inform others of Hispanic thoughts and feelings when dealing with racism. This movement can help raise awareness of what Hispanics go through.

“Teachers should definitely talk about the struggle’s minorities face,” Utica sophomore Irkia Polus said. “When teaching at a school where certain ethnicities and races can feel excluded, it is important to show that their heritage and news matters, especially if it is news concerning daily struggles of minorities. This lets the Hispanic community have a voice instead of keeping the stereotypes of people and situations in people’s minds. This will allow every student to get their real story out there while encouraging youth to stand up and talk.”

Racism is not new, but in recent years, more prevalent in society with police shootings, black Lives Matter, Hear Hispanic Voices and Asian hate crimes since the pandemic.

“People should talk about the discrimination that occurs in the Hispanic community as much as they can to get it out there and educate people on the seriousness of it,” Stevenson sophomore Mariah Kappouta said. “I think speaking up about the racial issues would help the Hispanic community to get the recognition that it deserves to have.”

Students have been involved in showing pride to their heritage.

“As a Hispanic myself, I try to give my opinion and stand up for what I believe in,” Stevenson junior Leslie Moya said. “Whether it is from Hispanic street vendors where many privileged people take advantage of the workers by destroying and harming them or their business, or trying to express and support many Hispanic owned businesses. Everyone should know about all the injustices that happen to many different groups, especially when it is something that affects students at school.”

Teachers who are involved with Hispanic classes share their opinion as well.

“I think having a forum that allows Hispanics to discuss difficult racial issues and to feel heard and understood is important,” Utica Spanish teacher Dawn Anderson said.  “As a compassionate person, and especially as a language educator, I have always embraced and enjoyed meeting and learning more about people of other ethnicities, cultures and places. As the opportunity arises within a curriculum, I think teachers can address racial or ethnic issues that coordinate with what students are learning.”