Education Through the Pandemic

Samantha Messina

The COVID-19 pandemic has had a big impact on students and has brought up concerns over lost education during the 2020-2021 school year.

“I think that we are learning just as much as we usually do,” Stevenson junior Olivia Daniels said. “This year has already been very draining on a lot of students because of how different and chaotic it is, but I think that the curriculum has been accommodating to the circumstances. I think the bigger problem is motivation. A lot of kids are doing worse in school this year because they feel unmotivated.”

One mindset is that the pandemic has not affected how much students learn, while another is students are not getting as good of an education this year.

“I feel like we have been learning less than we usually do,” Eisenhower senior Maddison Rouse said. “The teachers are giving a lot of extra time for students to catch up on work this year. While learning online has been difficult for some classes, I have not been falling behind at all because there is less work to do.”

Teachers have had to adjust as much as students.

“Teachers have been working diligently through a world pandemic to ensure that our students are learning and advancing in their studies,” Stevenson English teacher Mary Beth Acoff said. “I have added and enhanced my curriculum and content to reflect this.”

This past year has been unprecedented in education.

“The students and teachers need a break,” Ford sophomore Nina Allen said. “Grades are dropping because we are not being taught right and are having multiple assignments thrown at us at a time. It is hard because the classes are tiring, and it has been difficult to communicate with teachers. Teachers are expecting too much from us and students are struggling. I am hardly holding on myself.”