Tradition: The New and The Old

Aubree Owens, Editor-In-Chief

COVID has caused a lot of change in 2020. The new focus is how the pandemic is going to affect family holiday traditions.

After years of doing traditions a certain way, now families must consider social distancing and being careful to not catch or spread the virus. Students and their families are coming up with alternatives to keep their holiday spirit despite the circumstances.

For some families, the suspense of who got whom a present is one of the key factors to their holiday. Not being able to be close to relatives may put a damper on some family traditions.

“We always do a Secret Santa and have someone dress up as Santa,” Stevenson senior Kristan Caoagas said. “COVID will have a huge impact on these traditions. We are going to have to limit invitations, so it will be less people and less fun. We are going to have to spread out around the room. I do not think it will be too bad.”

For the families that go out for their holiday traditions, COVID’s impact will not be as bad. However, families are still taking precautions.

“One of our holiday traditions is going to Blake’s cutting down a tree and then getting pretzels afterwards,” Eisenhower sophomore Hayden Vasseur said. “The only precaution we have to take is staying away from other groups.”

While some families are used to having large get-togethers this year, it may have to be small groups. The holidays are time to see extended family members for some families, but this year is might just be immediate family.

“For Thanksgiving and Christmas, my family and cousins’ families would get together and celebrate together,” Ford junior Maysim Alobaidi said. “Due to COVID, we will not be celebrating together. It would be too many people all together and we do not want to risk getting the virus or spreading it.”

Trying to keep the happy holiday spirit alive with all of the COVID chaos is something parents are trying to figure out.

“We will put up our Christmas tree early on Thanksgiving since we have more time on our hands,” Ford AP Capstone Seminar teacher Karen Trivelloni said. “My children are four and five and love decorating for the holidays, so this will hopefully keep their minds off of not being able to spend the holiday with family. However, we plan to hold a Holiday Zoom party with our family as we all enjoy dessert, so we still can see each other.”