Finance Testing

On top of the SAT, Michigan students may be required to take another standardized test

Camilla Bartolone, Junior Writer

Michigan students would be required to pass a personal finance class under a new bill, if passed, as of October 26, 2021. 

“In retrospect, students should be able to use the information in the business world,” Ike senior Molly Brothers said. “I think it’s better for students to know finance information now, so they will get used to it in the future. I do think it’s a little late for applying this type of education into school now though, most students go into high school with a plan and adding something like that kind of disrupts the routine–not saying it shouldn’t be added, I just think it should’ve already happened.” 

Lawmakers in Lansing, Michigan are considering a huge change to the high school curriculum by expecting students to pass a mandatory personal finance course before graduation. If the new bill is approved, students in Michigan will have to learn about earning, spending, saving, sharing, investing money, and more about business finances. This, however, may cause some serious repercussions and really turn out to be ineffectual.

“I think it will affect students in a beneficial way; the more kids know about finance, the better off they’ll be in their future lives,” Ford senior Winter Hughes said. “It’s very good [be]cause for once we can learn stuff relevant to real life. Also it’s counterproductive. No one will remember any of [this] stuff.” 

However, the House Committee on Education has not yet voted on this bill, it would have to be passed in the full House and Senate before initialized into schools. Governor Gretchen Whitmer could consider signing it into law, but no action has been taken yet.