Reading Takes the Lead

TikTok makes reading a big trend among teens, leading to a community in which books are shared and recommended among users

Sonia Hadar, Junior Writer

As users scroll through TikTok, they see video after video, and finally there is a book review where a user shares and explains their favorite book, causing their audience to want to know more and take a trip to the bookstore.

TikTok users are becoming a part of “BookTok,” where people share and review their favorite books on the platform through 30 second to three minute videos. BookTok has widely impacted teens, and even authors, by promoting reading and allowing people to discover new books, resulting in bestsellers and even award winners. 

“I have seen ‘The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo,’ ‘Looking for Alaska,’ ‘It Ends With Us’, ‘Verity’, ‘The Summer I Turned Pretty’, and ‘The Silent Patient’ trending on my for you page,” Henry Ford II High School senior Berlyn Hillman said. 

BookTok has been able to influence readers by not only promoting certain books, but also genres and even authors.  

“TikTok has influenced me to read fantasy, mystery, and romantic comedy books because they appeal to me most,” Henry Ford II High School freshman Emma Barbura said. “BookTok normally centers around these genres, promoting these types of books.”

BookTok’s influence can even be seen at the bookstore, as Barnes and Noble has created a table with trending books on TikTok so readers can easily find what they are searching for. 

“I bought ‘The Unhoneymooners’, ‘Kingdom of the Wicked’, and ‘Dance of Thieves’ from the BookTok section at Barnes and Noble,” Eisenhower High School junior Nicole Cotora said. “I loved all of them, some of them becoming my favorite books I’ve ever read.”

Arriving at the bookstore, TikTok users scan the rows, looking for the latest trending books to take home and begin their next reading journey.